It only takes 29 simple items in your closet to create a full wardrobe for Winter.
Your closet doesn’t need to be jam-packed in order to have a plethora of options to wear for winter. Check out my top picks for a Winter Capsule Wardrobe. You can always modify the number, type, or color of any pieces in this set to better fit your personal needs.
1. Clean-Cut Tank Top. Great for layering, wearing under jackets, and pairing with just about every item in this collection. A more simple tank is a great for layering underneath sweaters and button-downs. A fancier tank top is great for wearing underneath a leather jacket on a night out on the town. Here are four options from H&M [1|2|3|4].
5. Plaid Button-Down. This cozy look never goes out of style. You can either choose a light, cotton version or go for a sturdier flannel material. It depends on your likes and your winter climate. The styles, materials, and color options are absolutely endless for this wardrobe staple. Here are five options from Forever 21 [1|2|3|4|5].
8. Ribbed Turtleneck. A classic wardrobe staple has now been reinvented to a modern-day masterpiece. A ribbed turtleneck can be worn in the office or for date night. Classy yet sexy, it’s a great idea to have one of these on hand. Here are three options from Forever 21 [1|2|3].
10. Classic Button-Up Cardigan. It goes without saying that you’ll probably get the most use out of this single item than anything else in this collection. Here are three different options from Forever 21 [1|2|3].
12. Longline Vest. This is probably the trendiest thing in this collection. Looks great paired with a stylish midi dress or layered over a sweater. Here are two of my favorite options from Forever 21 [1|2].
13. Wool Coat. A drapey wool coat will never go out of fashion. Timeless, classic, and makes any outfit look worthy of a Dior photoshoot. Here are some of my favorite choices from Nordstrom [1|2|3|4|5]. Of course, more affordable options are available across the board. I like these from Forever 21 [1|2|3].
15. Bodycon Midi Dress. Can be worn modestly for workday attire or gussied up for a night out on the town. Extra points if it has mock neck details, which is very trendy this season. Here’s a tank version and a long-sleeved version, both from Forever 21.
17. Leather Pencil Skirt. The perfect combination of edgy and classy. Grab a leather pencil skirt to spice up any outfit. Very easy to dress down for daily wear and spice up for happy hour. This one from Forever 21 has a great zipper detail on the front as well.
18. Dark Denim. While lightwash denim is another closet staple, your go-to for the Fall and Winter months should be dark denim. It looks classic and put-together with sweaters and t-shirts alike. Pairs well with boots as well as heels, for a very wide range of possibilities. I love these two options from Topshop [1|2].
19. Skater Skirt. Any rich color would be a great option for a Winter skater skirt. Paired with tights and boots, it’s even warm enough to wear in cold weather. This one from ASOS is a great choice.
20. Leather pants. If you haven’t already noticed, leather is a big feature of this capsule wardrobe. If you want to stay away from leather bottoms, black jeans would be a great replacement. They look very trendy and very polished. Here is a leather pair from Nordstrom. If you want to go to the simpler route, here is a black pair of jeans from Topshop.
22. Black Combat Boots. Combat boots are the perfect combination of edgy, sexy, and put-together. Check out this pair from DSW.
23. Black Handbag. This bag will pair perfectly with every single item in this capsule. It can be worn far beyond the winter season. Check out this one from Nordstrom. Your bag doesn’t have to be expensive to look expensive, though. This one from Forever 21 is a great example of a good-looking bargain bag.
24. Envelope Clutch. The latest and greatest in handbag fashion is the envelope clutch. Pairs well with jeans and heels for a girl’s night. This one from Nordstrom comes in a variety of fun colors, if you want to spice up your capsule.
26. Classic Riding Boots. I don’t think these will ever be out of style. Grab a classic pair of leather riding boots to polish up your jeans. If you’re into edgier fashion, pick up a pair of over-the-knee boots.
28. Black Flats. You’re not going to want to wear boots every single day this winter, so that’s wear the classic ballet flat comes into play. The D’Orsay style and suede detail makes this classic shoe a little more interesting and fashion forward. Check out this pair from Nordstrom.